WEBINAR - Mechanics of Construction Adjudication and Prompt Payment in Ontario
Upcoming SessionsThere are currently no upcoming sessions scheduled for this course
OCA Members: $175.
This 5 hour course has been converted into a Live Online Webinar and is designed to introduce the participant to the new rules of prompt payment under the law that came into effect in October 2019.
- High Speed Internet
- Recommended Laptop or Desktop Windows 10 or Mac iOS
- Recommended Webcam, but not necessary if just preferring audio and file download only
- Headset if preferred due to external noise in personal space, but computer speakers also will work.
- Comfortable chair
- NotePad or other note taking device
This course is ideal for ANY buyer of construction services, controllers, paralegals, general contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers and quantity surveyors, interior designers and technologists and technicians
The course will offer and introduce the participants to the legal forms that will be required in order to give notice of non-payment, as well we will explore the first ever flow chart created by Constructionlab to follow how all of the forms are to be used, and when and by whom. Participants will also receive the Constructionlab created flow chart and a copy of the new portions of the Construction Act governing the construction payment pyramid including Prompt Payment and Adjudication.
Participants will receive an overview of the mechanics of the adjudication process including dates, timelines and how the roster of adjudicators through ODACC will function. More, when adjudication will automatically trigger, and when it can be used voluntarily to settle a dispute regarding payment or any other contemplated reason in contract.
At the end of the session, participants will:
- understand the rules of payment or non-payment on day 14 following receipt of a proper invoice. What and how is a proper invoice generated and between whom understand when adjudication is either automatically or voluntarily triggered
- gain an understanding of who this new law and regulation applies to
- have learned about the Authorized Nominating Authority, timelines for adjudication and costs associated with adjudication.
- have explored some of the work-arounds that have been allowed for in the legislation and how they may benefit or hinder payment outcomes.
Instructor: Derek Smith, Constructionlab