CST: Great Communicators Make Great Supervisors
About Construction Supervisor Training (CST):
CST puts an emphasis on practical knowledge, providing participants with the skills and resources needed to excel at new challenges on the job site. This comprehensive program provides it all and is delivered in manageable segments by Subject Matter Experts.
CST is comprised of 9 Modules:
1. Oh Crap, I'm A Supervisor
2. Effective Meetings & Delegation
3. Ethics & Integrity in Construction
4. Conflict Resolution
5. Great Communicators Make Great Supervisors
6. Human Resources Practices
7. Coaching Skills for Supervisors
8. Building High Performance Teams
9. IHSA Basics of Supervising
Modules may be taken in any order. After completing all 9 modules you can request to receive the Construction Supervisor Training (ICI) Certificate of Achievement.
A Graduation ceremony will be held annually to recognize those who complete the Certificate Program.
Individuals are free to take any Construction Supervisor Training module without pursuing the Certificate of Achievement.
Great Communicators Make Great Supervisors Description
It is simply impossible to become a great supervisor without being a great communicator. As a construction supervisor you must get work done through other people and you spend a significant amount of time each day in some type of interpersonal situation, therefore the ability to communicate effectively is a critical element to your success. A large number of performance problems and conflict occur as a result of poor communications. It is precisely this reason that underscores the need for supervisors to focus on becoming great communicators.
This course focuses on developing strong and clear communication strategies that will help you improve your listening, your message and your delivery. You will explore powerful active listening techniques, the value of non-verbal communications, how to deliver your message with impact to get the results you want, how to provide constructive feedback to your employees and what pitfalls to avoid, negotiation strategies that result in a win-win outcome and the basics of written communication in construction. The course will wrap-up with a review of common communication blunders and potential barriers to communication success.
This 6.5 hour module provides you with coffee, snacks, lunch and a course certificate worth 1 Gold Seal Credit.
- The Essentials of Communication
- The communication process
- Communication tools used in construction
- Time spent communicating
- A Model for Better Listening
- Listening is the key to all effective communications
- Seen to be Listening: Active Listening
- It's Not What You Say: Non-Verbal Communication
- Value of non-verbal communication
- Evaluating non-verbal signals
- It's More Than Just Talking: Verbal Communication
- Learn to communicate effectively
- Communication styles
- Delivering performance feedback
- Negotiation 101
- Tips for Effective Written Communications
- Communication Blunders and Barrier
Instructor: Mark Nesbitt